Hi! I’m Daniel, a graduate journalist from Cumbria in the UK, I’m excited to join the team!
You can find me talking about a weird mix of football and eurovision at @tojonation on twitter.
How did I get into the Eurovision Song Contest?
In relative terms I’m a Eurovision newbie, I only got into the contest over the pandemic and ahead of the 2021 edition after some friends in a group chat started talking about their excitement as the entries for that year started to come in.
I joined them on the journey and VICTORIA’s “growing up is getting old” became my favourite, kickstarting a curse where songs I really like come 11th.
At what point did I consider myself a Eurofan?
Very quickly after that. I went very quickly from never haven given the contest a second thought to it being rent free in my head, initially I only spoke to fans that I already knew through the twitter spheres I was already on, but 2022 is when I started really moving towards the ESC Fandom, including watching my first national finals – NRK’s Melodi Grand Prix being my favourite.
What are my favourite Eurovision songs and countries?
Finally, the fun bit.
Struck with not much to do over the summer, I used maths to figure out my favourite countries over the last decade. The Netherlands, Bulgaria, Norway & Italy scored the highest in this, the former taking the crown thanks in large part to not falling below my third place since 2021.
As for songs:
- 🇵🇹 Portugal (2022) – MARO with “saudade, saudade”
- 🇳🇱 The Netherlands (2014) – The Common Linnets with “Calm After The Storm”
- 🇧🇬 Bulgaria (2021) – VICTORIA with “growing up is getting old”
- 🇳🇱 The Netherlands (2023) – Mia Nicolai & Dion Cooper with “Burning Daylight”
- 🇷🇴 Romania (2010) – Paula Seling and Ovi with “Playing With Fire”
What are my favourite national final entries?
One year there’ll be a national final season that doesn’t completely break my heart and eliminate one of my songs of the season. I’ve only watched three years’ worth, but here are my favourites so far:
- 🇸🇪 Clara Klingenström with “Behöver inte dig idag” (Melodifestivalen 2021 – Sweden)
- 🇮🇪 CONNOLLY with “Midnight Summer Night” (Eurosong 2023 – Ireland)
- 🇳🇴Northkid with “Someone” (Melodi Grand Prix 2022 – Norway)
- 🇪🇸 Alice Wonder with “Yo Quisiera” (Benidrom Fest 2023 – Spain)
- 🇭🇷 Marko Bošnjak with “Moli Za Nas” (DORA 2023 – Croatia)
What am I looking forward to in the next Eurovision season?
Hopefully my favourite will actually qualify for the final this year! Other than that the same things as every year, being exposed to music by a whole host of artists I’d otherwise have never heard of – mixed in with the inevitable and enjoyable chaos a Eurovision season brings.
What do you think of Daniel’s favourites? Want to learn more about our team? Let us know in the comments below or on social media. Don’t forget to follow ‘THAT Eurovision Site’ over at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Threads and Bluesky as we gear up for the next Eurovision!
News Source: That Eurovision Site
Photo Credit: Daniel