Speculation began as to which Italian city would host Eurovision 2022 began immediately after this year’s contest. Last week, Italian broadcaster RAI released the requirements that a potental host city will need to meet.
Though many Italian cities, including Turin, have expressed interest in hosting, they will now need to submit formal bids to RAI for consideration.
What are RAI’s Hosting Requirements?
According to an EBU press release, the cities will have to meet the following criteria set forth by RAI to be considered for hosting Eurovision 2022.
The host city must have:
- an international airport within 90 minutes from the city.
- over 2,000 hotel rooms or other accomodation in the area.
- a large-scale venue capable of hosting an international event.
The potential venue must also:
- be indoors with air-conditioning
- have a capacity of at least 8,000-10,000 during the event (accounting the space that the stage, tech, green room, etc. will need).
- have easy access to the main hall to accomodate additional production needs.
- contain space for areas such as the press centre, dressing rooms, hospitality, staff facilities, etc.
- be EXCLUSIVELY available for nine weeks (six weeks for set-up, two weeks for the shows, and one week for take-down).
When Will RAI Announce the Host City?
Cities had until 11:59 pm on Monday 12 July to submit their bids to RAI for consideration.
Some, such as Turin and Pesaro, have already announced their detailed bids to the public with more expected in the coming weeks. The process of selection will happen over the next few weeks.
As no official host city or date has been confirmed, the EBU is also advising fans to wait to book accommodation or travel until full details are revealed.
What do you think of this news? Which city would you like to see host Eurovision 2022? Let us know in the comments or on social media. Be sure to follow ‘THAT Eurovision Site’ on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
News Source: EBU / RAI
Photo Source: EBU / Thomas Hanses